Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Food Confessions.

Okay gang, I am really going to make some heads spin here. I have never, ever, eaten a Peanut Butter and Fruit Loop sandwich. I have never, ever, eaten a double Quarter Pounder with (or without) cheese. I have never eaten at Carl's Jr. I have never drank a Red Bull, Monster or Rockstar. I had my first frozen lasagna last month. Last month! And I don't even know how to cook, you would think I was a drive-thru King.

Compared to some of my friends, heck my very relatives, I have a completely boring palette. I don't eat ice ceam or drink milkshakes. I don't like fries very much, (shock, horror).

Look. I am not some tofu, soy, organic panty waist here. I eat pizza and Dots almost every Friday night, I eat nachos a couple times a year. I love sandwiches. I love homemade tacos. I love boneless hotwings. I drink beer. I am a big fan of Diet Coke. It is tortorous for me to imagine a cinema movie without buttered popcorn. I have a ever rotating two week supply of dehyrdated backpacking meals; just add water, stir, seal and 10 minutes later I dig in with my .3 ounce long handled titanium spork. I have my bona fides in bad food.

That being said, I love oatmeal with nuts & honey for breakfast with a cup of coffee. Lunches are usually a homemade turkey & swiss early, then a PB&J late. My favorite afternoon snack is an apple, cheese, bread and hummus. Dinners are a pasta, a lean protien and pile of veggies. In fact I eat fruits and veggies and nuts throughout the day. The more color the better, green, blues, oranges, reds. I pour a steady stream of water down my gullet all day long. I love seltzer water.

I am agog of some of the pure crap, I witness my family and friends eat on a daily basis. Look I am not going to wag my finger in anyones face unless its understood I am being mostly sacrastic. But one person should not be eating 20 chicken nuggets for dinner. Or brownies and kool aid for breakfast. Or think there is any benefit of a venti caramel whatever its called at Starbucks. And yes I have never had anything close to a frapacino near my lips. I may have one latte a year, pumpkin (yummy). Heck outside my house, I buy 95% of my coffee at a gas station.

All I am saying is that my nutrition is as unprocessed as possible. Is it perfect no, there is no such thing as a perfect diet. Don't delude yourself. But I will put my salmon, brown rice & asperagus lunch with club soda up against your supersized #3 combo meal washed down with Mountain Dew.

Now...chew on that.

4 comments:

Mommymeepa said...

Like I said on Facebook I get sick now when I see others eating the way you described, but part of that is because I used to eat like that. I still have my slip ups here or there, but now what I'm eating for the most part right on, I never want to go back.

M said...

yeah, i also have my well-documented "weaknesses" but for the most part, I think I am pretty solid in what I eat. it is quite stunning at times to know how much fast food and crap people shovel into their mouth - i mean, put aside the poor nutritional value for a second - doesn't that kist make you FEEL bad?

on a related sidenote, I LOVE DOTS. Possibly my favorite candy.

Jana said...

I enjoyed your food rant but I must say that nugget (10 not 20)meal deal is my fav!!! Go ahead people judge away! I don't mind! I love lots of crap but DOTS? Really? They're so darn sticky, you can't even eat 'em? Whatever Mr. Health (& your Mr. Health friends) :-)

Taconite Boy said...

I dont care what you eat...


Just wanted to stop by and say HI