Thursday, June 7, 2012

Protect the head in style

I've been pretty open about the fact that I have had a lot of head injuries and a few of those have been extremely violent, which may not be the perfect adjective but it is apt. Recent theories suggest that the more concussions a person receives the more susceptible they become to receiving them in the future, maybe as much as 3x the greater than a non Traumatic Brain Injury person. Thus I have been very conscious of wearing head protection. 

Now look, I am not some rabid helmet advocate that demands a law in every state that a motorcyclist wear a helmet or every time a toddler gets on their trike to ride around the cul-de-sac that they need to have a helmet on. For me personally, I always wear a helmet when I am cycling or mountain biking for fitness or recreation. I also wear a helmet when I horseback ride, ATV, 4 Wheel, paintball, airsoft, an occassional attempt to water ski, when I boulder, rappel or encounter Class 3+ hiking trails. (If you enjoy any type of hiking, read that link for some good information) Even when I am on a ladder putting up Christmas lights or changing a light bulb in our house. That last one might seem a bit over the top but, considering I got my last concussion hitting my head against a wall in my house while I checked the tire pressure on my bike tire. True Story. 

For years I have worn a Pro Tech skating helmet (right) and it has done a great job of protecting me from random bumps and knocks. I've got a few scuffs to prove it. Last Christmas I got a GoPro Camera to capture my adventuring and endurance pursuits in glorious 5mb/1080 HD frames. Because lets face it in the digital age, "No pictures, didn't happen.".  The provided helmet/headband strap has worked well, bounces a little, so I went looking for a way to mate the GoPro to my helmet and kill two birds with one stone. Maybe that is the wrong analogy to use. 

I found that Pro Tec has started marketing a line of military helmets. It would be a great way to platform a helmet camera with mounted lighting options, a requisite American Flag velcro patch slapped on plus protect my head from whatever I, someone else or gravity, decides to throw at it. I think I will pick one up in the near future. It would really come in great during my NightOp training sessions.

 For those looking for general head protection for yourself or your child without looking out of place in a multi-colored cycling helmet for you or some embarrassing brightly colored kid show sponsored brain bucket for them look into a multi sport/purpose helmet. And if its tactical or even tacikewl, it works for me. 


No comments: