Thursday, May 24, 2012

Classic Overreach

A couple days ago I went for a run during the hottest part of the day. Not generally the smartest way to do things but I had to workout, had to get out of the house and clear my head, and had to continue my acclimatization for the forthcoming and inevitable summer heat.

As I left for the run, the air temp was 108. I was including push ups and burpees every mile so I also took a ground temp (using a Thermapen) and got a reading of 135 degrees. At those temps, using gloves becomes a requirement.

My run, an out and back had a turnaround at a park that I discovered had a dozen exercise stations. So I ran there doing burpees and ab exercises every mile then completed the stations and ran back doing the same. I'll also chip in that my return route completed an errand to pick up medication for my son at the pharmacy, so I saved gas too.

Its a couple days later and my legs are still fairly zapped. I know its the result of heat acclimatizing and it being my farthest run in a few months by 3 miles. Classic over train. I'll overcome this today by working on my flexibility, some treadmill work and consistent, smooth exercises that keep my HR up and steady rather than ballistic or anaerobic.


No comments: