Friday, February 17, 2012

GORUCK UP

Tonight I have the GoRuck Challenge. It is listed as  

8-10 HOURS. 15-20 MILES. GOOD LIVIN’.
The GORUCK Challenge is a team event and never a race. Inspired by Special Forces training and led by Green Berets, the Challenge builds teams and solves problems.

I have many friends who have experienced a GRC and while I have done their obstacle course match ups with Tough Mudder and Spartan Race, this is my first full on city event. I am banging out this post so close to kick off because honestly I am nervous. 

I know the reality is not as bad as my mental picture but I imagine basically the worst case scenario of my hardest military combat schools. In my mind I am going to be smoked, dropped, screamed at, mindfucked, clusterfucked, "one grenade will kill you all", "why don't you just quit now because your worthless", sort of experience.

So why even do something like that?  Why enroll in an event that in my mind right now, is going to treat me like an unwanted dog and kick me raw and treat me inhumanely for 8-12 hours?  I don't know. Maybe because I think I deserve it for some reason. That I need someone to punish me for something I cannot define inside me that I've done wrong. Some psychic shock that has pushed me forward since my amnesia.  

Of course, it can't be as bad as I imagine. None of my many friends have said, "STOP. Don't do this, it was horrible."  In fact they have signed up for more. Many of the people in my class tonight (Class 113) have done a GRC in the past. I see a few even flew in for this.

In fact the reputation of a GoRuck Challenge is superb. The cadre I have met at other events are excellent, professional people. My imagination is running wild through my fingers simply because I have not done one yet. Tomorrow afternoon I will have received my GoRuck Tough patch for completing the event (earned, never sold) and have a whole new appreciation for what I can put my body through and contribute to the team.  

I just survive. Thrive. 



No comments: