Sunday, February 19, 2012

GORUCK Class 113

Lets begin with the end. I'm Patched. Not in the sense that I've joined a motorcycle gang, though to some it might seem as such. No, the patch I have now represents, a different 'dirty underbelly' of society. That of a group of people who are GORUCK tough. I had the honor of participating in one of their urban challenges as part of Class 113 in Phoenix. 

Like most people, maybe you right now, you are trying to read up on what the GORUCK challenges are all about. Trying to get some sort of insight, knowledge or peace of mind before you sign up. Before your class kicks off. I know I searched the heck out of it before my Class weekend. Talked and texted with all my friends lucky enough to do this before my weekend arrived. Maybe like me, you were disappointed in what you haven't read, namely: What the heck do you do in it?  How are you treated?  What is it like? I discussed my nerves regarding my class right before I left to the meet up. 

I sat at my computer afterwards wondering how to write about what occurred over 12.5 hours and 22 miles of Class 113. How can my post be different than all the others I've read. How could I put it into words. In the end, I can't. Sorry. I can say that what I thought would happen, my worst case scenario was completely unfounded.We were not treated like maggots, the cadre was hard but fair. We were not punished for unknown reasons. Every thing we got, was deserved. And every reprieve we got was deserved.  

So, specifics, it's what you want. Its what a 'race' report demands. Honestly too much happened. Too much to be proud of. Too much to be frustrated with. Too much to put into words, as it must be experienced. Some of it should be held under operational security for the cadre to run a good class. It was not the hardest thing I have ever done over 12 hours, but at the end I felt every bit my age every time I got up. You have to be in shape for this event. You have to have the testicular fortitude, women as well, to get through something like this. I am not talking physically, that is assumed. I am talking mentally. 

I will however I will give you some general advice that might help you get through your event. Or what I went through if you're a friend reading this. 
  • Pack only what is on the gear list. The only items you are going to use are quick foods, and your hydration reservoir.  You will not have time to take your pack off for any personal items you bring along. 
  • What you wear at the start, you will wear for hours before you can take off or add layers. There is no time to take off or add unless you are mercifully given a break. Breaks are earned, not given. Be careful in your choices if you run hot or cold.  
  • Nothing will kill a team or raise one up faster than team work. Our cadre said we had the fastest team cohesion he had seen in his classes. A high compliment to be sure. 
  • Learn a cadence. It doesn't matter if you sing the same thing ten or fifteen lines for 5 hours, (it doesn't get boring), just have something from start to finish to motivate the team in the middle of the night. If you can't memorize it, write it down on waterproof paper and stick it in your pocket. You can pull it out on the move. Eventually it will be seared in your head. 
  • Team mates will cramp up. Most people have never gone longer than a marathon of effort, meaning what occurs physically after say 5-6 hours is virgin territory. Our class was 12 hours and almost a marathon of miles around the city, not included in that distance all the bear crawls, crab walks, low crawling, buddy carries, coupon carrying and team weight carrying we did. Your body will break down. Everything is done at as fast a run as can be managed as a team. As someone who competes in ironman distance events and multi day adventure hiking, I have become accustomed to using a supplement called Endurolytes, which helps deter cramping in endurance activities. There are other products that do the same. This is just what I use. Its a good item to have at break times for yourself and others on the team. 
  • For what its worth, no amount of ibuprofen is going to help with the pain you feel under all the physical stress. 70% of that is going to be a discomfort turned into a full out "I can't go on" voice in your head. Don't listen to it. Embrace the suckage. Mental destruction and negativity will crush a team. 

go ruck tough
At certain points a team leader and team navaguesser are chosen. I was never picked. That didn't mean I had no responsibility for the success of the team. Let me give you two specific examples. We had a coupon, an item that had to be carried with us aside from the team weight. We carried this coupon as a team for 8 hours and dozens of miles. It was heavy and cumbersome and could not be done alone. After a few hours of two person carry, we were given a quick break and I removed some brick straps from my bag, to create a way for four person carry. It was not without flaw but we could move faster, with less switch outs between the team members. At some point these broke and we were back to a two person carry. And we were breaking down physically as well. I kept looking around for a discarded broom handle or pipe that could be used as a pole to carry the item. At a stop light I happened to spy a 3 foot 2x4 that allowed the team to carry the coupon much easier. It again saved us time and significant energy output. 

I don't mention this to toot my own horn, only that everyone on the team brings a special gift that can help the team succeed. For some this is strength, others motivation, inspiration, or knowledge. Every person in Class 113 had something to contribute and I felt like mine was the ability to solve the problem of how to carry this coupon without killing morale, destroying our ability to move or heaven forbid a good person drop out and quit. 

For any person who is interested in pushing their limits, this is a step up. If a marathon isn't enough. If hiking the Grand Canyon isn't enough. If Ironman isn't enough. If regular gym workouts isn't enough. If obstacle course racing isn't long enough. GO RUCK. 

Don't just survive. Thrive. 

Author wearing blue shirt with red flag on cap. 

No comments: