Friday, November 5, 2010

Fractured Foot Update

Two weeks ago I fractured the top of my right foot. I don't know if it was from Tough Mudder and just lingered as some fractures do or if it came from trail or pavement running I have done since. 

Repeative use injury's are the nature of the game in endurance pursuits. I try to find the positive in all things so I am grateful that this is not a knee injury or other truly lifestyle debilitating injury. 

I used crutches for a week as any pressure was very difficult.  That numb, pain in the bone feeling, the sometimes cold sensation at the end of an extremity all persisted that first week. By the end my legs were a wreck of poor bio mechanics and tightness. After a full weekend on by back using RICE strategy's, I walked or should say limped into the of this week of work without the crutches. 

This week has been mostly free of pain, though I admittedly over stretched my toes and my foot one night and paid a step price on the pain threshold. 

To loosen my legs up I started doing some very easy bike work on my trainer, staying in the same gear for 30-40 minutes. Mistress asked why I didn't just ride on the street as the weather is so nice, but I felt that the extra twisting of the cleats and pulling up on even slight inclines would cause discomfort or delay healing. It has worked well. 

Tonight is a party a Mighty Mo's elementary school. Mistress and Mo are going to at the start to run a booth for the 1st grade class and I decided I am going to walk there with Mae in her stroller. Its one mile away. I am hoping that this goes well, I've not walked so far at once since the fracture. I will lay low on Saturday and if things go well, I will try some treadmill or short run Sunday. 

No comments: