Sunday, September 19, 2010

Bring on the Pumpkin Pie Pop Tart


While I do not eat pop tarts daily, I consider them a near perfect food item. They come in a space age foil wrapper, they have more than enough flavors to satisfy any desire, they do no melt in the heat, they can be consumed toasted or raw. And finally they have enough calories to kick start a long training morning and just enough to satisfy a late night sweet tooth without busting the calorie bank. I mostly grab them on the way to a morning workout or on the trail in my backpack. You also would have seen them in my special needs bags in ironman races.

I was very excited this week to see they came out with a limited edition pumpkin Pie flavor. It was one of those 'aha' moments when I wondered why they had not done that before. In order to make sure that I was ahead of the fad curve I bought boxes of the new flavor. That will easily last me through the next few months until the holiday season gives me pumpkin.

I personally like my pop tarts raw, I generally find the flavor stronger for me that way. In order to find which configuration I would enjoy this new flavor the most, I opened a foil package and toasted one tart and left the other on my plate. I preferred the raw version finding the frosting a bit overpowering though they both tasted just like pumpkin pie. Couple this with a cup of coffee and you have got a great fall treat going here.

I don't cook but love to share new tastes with the family so I offered my wife and son each a raw tart and they agreed that it tasted very much like pumpkin. Thankfully we are all spoiled by DW (Dear Wifes) legitimately awesome homemade pumpkin pie, so these will not need to be hidden in the pantry.  My only fear is that I jump from occasional eater to 'need to eat'. These could easily do that. Thank goodness their a limited run.  

2 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

It was always Dutch Apple Pop Tarts for me....

tim hacker said...

I must find these in the store. The limited run it limited to how many cases you can get your hands on.