Monday, August 3, 2009

Cans for Cash

Mighty Mo and I were finally able to get all our cans to the recycler. At $0.45 per pound of cans we turned in just under 100 pounds and collected a little over $44.

We have been collecting cans for a couple years now so we can buy a dune buggy. Every chance we get on the weekends we drive through our neighborhood and scout for littered cans. I get a hoot of him leaning over the dash and then trying to open the door and scoot out to retrieve a can. Of course I pick up any cans that I find in parking lots and such. I once went on a run and came back with a dozen crushed beer cans. Thankfully my shorts had pockets. The'n there is my forays to the campgrounds I go to swim at where I am assured at least a dozen cans just tossed on the ground.

The other half of this program is to teach him stewardship of the environment which is working very well. He often picks up dry litter to put into the trash as we walk around.

At this rate it will take decades to get the money needed to buy a dune buggy just based on collecting cans so of course the process is more symbolic than substantive but at his age its the coolest thing in the world and a great way for the two of us to bond.





3 comments:

Wendy said...

A great "can do" story!

Nancy Toby said...

I'm wondering what kind of child booster seat or restraint device allows your son to be "leaning over the dash"?

Brent Buckner said...

Nothing else says stewardship of the environment quite like a dune buggy!
:-D

More seriously, good on ya!