Monday, June 8, 2009

Base line course

For the last ten years I have used the same 3.25 mile course next to my office as a baseline for my running fitness. I couldn't even guess how many times I have laced up for a quick lunch run or clear my head before going home. The first time I did this run, ten years ago, it took me thirty minutes. It has some sidewalk, a little asphalt, mostly hard pack dirt and a nice hill at the end to get over.

Today, I don't recall if I was pushing it how I felt, I probably just went for a run and this is the route I took. I know I didn't have GPS or the technology to measure distance aside from a map. I can guarantee I mapped the distance later.

In that time, if the route has changed, its only gotten harder. Development around the area has taken me from a mostly flat hardpacked dirt to an undulating multi-use path will little ups and downs built right next to it that I now use.

Sometimes I am running to manage my heart rate and I go over 30 minutes. Sometimes I run for speed and I am under by several minutes. Often times it's the comfort course that I choose as my first run back into a training plan or my first run after a hard race recovery. Sometimes, shhhhhh, I took work peers on this course on really hot days to break their spirits.

I don't know why today of all days, I am nostaglic about the course. Maybe because its a Monday. Maybe it's because ten years later I can still run that same course under 30 minutes. Maybe I just like consistency. Whatever it is, it works for me.

There's treasure everywhere.

1 comment:

Fumo Santo said...

I love runs like that. I have a similar path that takes me through old Litchfield Park. Minimal traffic, mostly flat, quiet and peaceful. I've mapped out a 5K distance as an out and back (you can loop the entire "park" in roughly 4.5 miles).
Just on Sunday night at dusk, I was sitting lazy on the couch and decided to lace up for a quick run. No thought process behind it; just get up, get out and go. Nice way to purge the brain.