Thursday, August 2, 2012

July Challenges completed

July has come and gone.What a month it was for fitness. To read my weekly recaps link HERE. I honestly had my doubts about completing 31 straight days of running and yet I overcame a lot of mental obstacles during the month and honestly a serious injury with only two days left. 

Today, the first of August. I did not run. The unintended consequence of running every day was that I could not recover adequately for the next run. By the second week my distance suffered significantly. Conversely for those few miles I did run every day, my pace improved. While I am glad to have hit this milestone I can't help but think that I did myself a disservice sticking with it. I cherish my endurance ability. Knowing inside that on any day you can go out and run a half marathon is empowering. I don't have that mental edge today. 

Finishing the pushups early helped me get through the dog bite injury. One less thing to worry about. I have still been doing around 100 push ups a day put not the usual dropping at random moments to knock out a set. 

This week is 500 abdominal reps. Which has become easier than doing 300 or 400. Funny how that works. Add doing them in less time. 

Burpees are coming along, haven't missed a day, the 37th now I believe. I don't think I will ever have the flexibility or fluidity to make burpees look like a beautiful or effortless movement. So I do my clunky and ugly burpees knowing that every rep I do is one more day to the awesome Day 100. 

Going to take a couple days to sort out what I will do for a challenge or focus in August. I have a few ideas but I need some time to decompress from doing four challenges last month. 

To quote an old friend, Stay Tuned...


1 comment:

Melissa said...

I still stick by what I say. . . YOU'RE A FREAK, but I love ya. Hahahaha.