Thursday, August 18, 2011

Vineman Fallout

After a big race, it is pretty normal to toss all your gear in the corner and not look at it, let alone touch it for a couple weeks. Being no exception, I did just that and worked on my post race recovery by engaging in active rest in ways that did not require my triathlon specific gear. 

As part of my recovery I have been doing treadmill inclines and weighted ruck runs but not actual, 'normal' type of run workouts. Thus I had no need for my usual running shoes, the ones I used at Vineman. Until today. And guess what. I completely busted the heel on one of them. Folded in, squeaky and there is separation lines along the outer sole. Bummer.  So I guess it's time to hit RoadRunner Sports for a new pair of shoes. 

I decided to inventory the rest of my gear and realized my goggles are missing. I've been using basic swim goggles since I've been home but like my Aqua Sphere Seal mask I use for open water.  So I need to hit the sports store and get a new pair. 

Since I am not so focused on triathlon at the moment, its finally given me some clarity on troubleshooting my adventure gear. I have been cataloging items and writing notes on what need to be fixed, improved upon or researched for updated versions. That list, more want than need, is quite long and not easily resolved. Nor do I want it to be. For me researching and considering the benefits of an item give me more pleasure than the purchase itself. Needless to say, the 'Possible Buys' folder under my web browsers bookmark tab is growing exponentially as I add things to read up on. 

It is always fun to accomplish long term goals. Especially one as personally redemptive to me as completing an ironman distance triathlon.  Yet, I have more that I want to do and once I finish a goal, I create a another that builds off it. I am not comfortable, being comfortable. 

It's not enough to exist. I am going to live. 

No comments: