Thursday, March 10, 2011

Upcoming last minute race

I was minding my own business this morning when I got a text, "you're still doing Spartan this weekend?". Uh-oh. I forgot.

Thankfully there was still online registration and I've got a good running base for the eight mile obstacle course. Of course the best racing strategy is having one and I don't have one. This has certainly shaped up into a year of organic racing. Meaning, as long as my base training grows I'll drop into anything short of a half iron ultra 50k and do alright. At least that is my thinking.

In fact I've been training well this week, putting together my first bricks of the year. So much so that I went to bed early last night but awoke at midnight with the hot legs or Jimmy Legs. Man that hurt. So I went downstairs and tried to solve that for four hours. I was going to take today off but after signing up for the Saturday race I decided to run today and rest Friday the day before the race.

Running on dead legs is not fun. Only two minutes in I was walking and ready to quit, my HR already in zone 4. I did a gut check and reminded myself of my running mantra, "just vet through the first ten minutes.". Of course at ten minutes I was okay and finished my five miler. It wasn't fun and it was over 80 degrees but I got through it.

Just seems like a metaphor for life, Start something, even with doubt, keep going, build momemtum and the things that bother you you find really are not that important.

It's not enough to exist. I'm going to live.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a great time at the race!! Sounds like a fun one!