Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Thinking about thinking about it.

I finally got the notice from Mistress that I should start looking for a new career before I drive her nuts.  So much for my Boy's of Summer rolling into actual summer. However she is correct. I am slowly de-evolving into a routine that is far to lax for me to handle for long and I lack (what little) mental stimulation I need to keep myself sane long term. 

I guess today I am preparing for career searching. You can tell because I went to a Starbucks to surf the net on my laptap and bought a $2.13 cup of coffee, rather than sit in my home office in my leather chair, use my 42" computer monitor and drink from my own pot of fresh brewed Starbucks that costs me about $0.20 a cup. Is this really progress?  

I have zero idea, none at all, at what career path I want to take. I have a non-compete agreement that pretty much locks me out of any field that provided me income for the last 15 years so I need to look elsewhere. Going through my "What do you want to be when you grow up" list, there is not enough money in archeology, helicopter pilot is a pretty hard career to get into at my age, Death Row executioner for federal inmates doesn't have any openings but I suspect the benefits package would be good.  

Adventurer is on the list. Not sure what that means. It could mean anything from finding a lost Amazon city of gold to finding the best place to eat Sushi in Wyoming. It could involve real danger that is experienced and reported, recorded and uploaded, or imagined and written about. Or a combination of those mediums. 

I could go into politics but honestly I don't like asking people for money. It's weird. It's also why I never got into Team In Training for endurance sports, or want my son selling candy bars or cookie batter to my friends so his teachers can buy Kleenex and hand sanitizer for the classroom. (Note to self: drop off Kleenex and hand sanitizer for Mo's class).

But this is only the prep phase, I can't think about what I going to do with the rest of my life this week, I have to road trip to California for a kick ass Superbowl party this weekend. Yes, I am driving 18 hours round trip for a party football. I am a simple man.

1 comment:

Brent Buckner said...

Adventure...
Hmmm.
Professional Adventure Racer!

All the best for making a good change.