Tuesday, November 10, 2009

See your future

I am sorry to say I have never met an obese person in their 70's. Oh, I am sure that with the obesity trends in our society they are all over the place. I just never see them. I don't see them in grocery stores, I don't see them in the retirement communities around my house. I don't see them in the senior citizen classes held at my gym. Sure there are plenty of seniors that are out of shape and overweight but not obese and that's my focus today. Because obese people die young and I am talking 30, 40, 50 years of age.

Just my thoughts. It is my completely unscientific opinion that the lighter you are, the longer you live. I don't mean that a 150 lb man will statically outlive a 200 lb man, I mean that individually, you, yes you, will probably live longer if you weigh less than you do right now. If your a female at 165 lbs, I think you will live longer and have a better quality of life as you get older if weighed 10-20% less. If your a male, I think the same if you weigh 240 lbs.

I think anecdotally you can see this in our children. The more obese the child the more medical problems they have in their teenage years and beyond. The more overweight a person is as they age, the more issues they must deal with regarding blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol and heart conditions. That's just the physical and doesn't even address the mental or emotional.

There is certainly plenty of visually contrary evidence to this thought of mine. Overweight, dare I say obese, people (statically speaking) finish Ironman distance races and run marathons. They have trained themselves for a period of time to be in peak health. But even the most fit person will tell you, that fitness fades, strength and endurance ebb and flow. One year is focused fitness, the next three years a confusing mess.

This is why it's never more important than today to commit yourself to a lifestyle of health and fitness, however you define that endeavor, that leaves you leaner in the long run. Through exercise, nutrition, portion control and healthy living, you reset your homeostatic body weight to a lower number on the scale. You do it today and then recommit every day. For the rest of your life. As you lose weight you win control over your body. People who lose weight take fewer medications than when they were heavier. People who lose a necessary 10-20% or more of their body weight have a better opinion of themselves; their self esteem and self confidence increase dramatically. They love themselves more which enables them to love others more deeply and completely. Dropping a significant amount of additional weight on the body makes a person more productive at work, with less sick days.

Do not believe you were born to be a certain weight. Do not believe you're destined to look or feel a certain way until you die. Don't alibi your conditions or feelings because your a victim. of something. Don't. Just don't think of whatever excuse works best for you today. Don't delude yourself that, "Come Monday, I will start up again." You didn't last Monday.

Start up today. This minute. Right now. Make the choice. Make the time. Apologize and ask forgiveness if you must but do not falter. Stand before the barbs and arrows that will surely come your way for finally taking the most selfish stand you can. The stand for your longer, happier, healthier life. You cannot be 100% the way you want to be next year if you don't get 1% better today. And 1% better tomorrow and then every day of your life try to get a little bit better.

---Its not enough to exist. I want to live---

No comments: