Monday, September 21, 2009

A New Shiny Thing: Platypus Big Zip SL

It may be premature but after one week and several uses I am totally in love with my new Shiny Thing. The Platypus Big Zip SL, a 100 ounce hydration reservoir.

Don't ask me how because I can't pinpoint it but I recently popped an 'unbreakable' Camelbak 70 ounce reservoir. I really like Camelbak gear. They are a quality company but I have an open mind to replacing gear so I went to my local REI and looked around. After my contact there laughed at me, in his experience I break more unbreakable gear than any person he talks to, we moseyed over to the hydration area. In my everyday backpack I have a 2 liter Platy Bottle that I have been very happy with for a couple years so looked for their model comparable to my punctured Camelbak. This is where I found the Big Zip. Plus its made in Seattle and I have mad props for outdoor gear made in my hometown.

My New Shiny Thing weighs one third as much as what it is replacing. I really like the fact that it is clear plastic with a special film inside that is antimicrobial and anti-slime. It has a secured carry handle that covers the large ziplock top. With the opening at the very top it is easier to clean and easier to fold and package into my more narrow packs which is not as easy when their is a large rigid screw top lid on the face of the unit, ala Camelbak.

A great addition is a quick disconnect for the drinking tube. I have run into drinking tube issues in the field and the ability to take the tube off and not have the reservoir at risk of spilling is a real benefit. Plus for packing the unit away the tube can be removed from the reservoir without concern that the constant on/off will stretch the tube at the connector causing leaks. Again an issue I have come across.

For anyone looking for a replacement reservoir or a second one to carry with you, I highly recommend a look at the Platypus Big Zip. If your daypack has a sleeve to fit a hydration reservoir do yourself a favor and start packing your own water. At $32 you will easily recoup your costs in no purchasing bottled water. Even if you just fill up at the twenty-five cents a gallon refill stations you save in some cases 75% on water costs over buying one liter of bottled water at the store.

You have lots of options for carrying water with you. Nalgene bottles, stainless steel bottles, reused water bottles, bike and running bottles. Hydration systems. All have their time and place. The important thing is that you are drinking water or other beneficial fluids throughout the day. And you bring enough with you. Whatever water you think you need to drink at that time, double it.

There's treasure everywhere.

No comments: